Section 4.1.1 has already speculated on the Louis Rousseau Family RESIDENCE between 1876/1877 and 20-Nov-1883.
The next sections on this web page will summarize recently found property documents for the Brooks family and their immediate relations.
The one source that nicely summarizes who owned what and where in Grand Forks City and in the various Grand Forks Counties is the 1893 PLAT Book of Grand Forks, Walsh and Pembina by D.W Ensign & Co. which is found online at ancestry.com within the US Indexed County Land Ownership Maps 1860-1918.
This map illustrates where we will END UP (circa 1893) and the sub-sections below of this web page will progress through time starting in 1876/1877 (Section 4.3.2) when the Louis Rousseau family first came to the area.
First consider a blow-up of the Grand Forks County map previously shown in Section 4.1.1.
Note the location of Allendale Township just south west of the City of Grand Forks, and of Walle Township immediately to the east and adjacent to Allendale Township.
The RED DOT in the SE corner of block 2 of Allendale Township was where Louis Brooks first had his homestead - which he later sold to son Hubert.
Based on the 1939 Pioneer Statement of Alphonse Grégoire, it is thought that L.A.E. Brooks (aka Ashel Brooks) briefly farmed the property directly south of Louis Brooks at NE Section 11 of Allendale Township during his short stay in the township. L.A.E was to sell this property to Simeon Huard.
The RED DOT in the NW corner of block 6 of Walle Township was where Hubert Brooks acquired a property.
The BLUE DOTS in the S sections of blocks 6 and 5 of Walle Township is where (in order) Tancrede, Alphonse, and Siffroid Grégoire had their homesteads.
YELLOW DOTS in Allendale Township are where Harmengile Grégoire
(block 10) and Louis Turcotte Sr. (block 4) and Sedelina Plante (block 35) and Peter Marcoux (brother of Adele
Philoméne Marcoux Grégoire) (block 1) and Frank (Simeon) Huard (block 11 NE) and Michael Huard (block 11 SE) had their homesteads (prior to 1893).
(Another friend of the family was George Morency (block 11 NW). George has accompanied Tancrede on his trip from Quebec to Grand Forks and George and Tancrede had both lived on Peter Marcoux's farm (block 1) the first year in Grand Forks Territory.)
The YELLOW DOT in SE Section 35 of Brenna Township immediately to the north of Hubert Brooks' property in Allendale Township was where Frank and Julia (Piguette) Marcoux
had their homestead. Leon Plante was next door to Frank and Julia Marcoux and north of Hubert Brooks at SW Section 35 of Brenna Township.
Marked with 2 GREEN colored DOTS on the map at the northern most section of the map, Leon Plante farmed 320 acres on contract in Rye Township (just above Brenna Township) at East ½ Section 35 Township 152N Range 51W, 2 Townships to the north of Hubert Brooks' property in Allendale Township.
Several ITEMS OF NOTE when looking at the above map:
In Walle Township note how close the Grégoire homesteads are to Hubert Brooks, and even to Louis Brooks in Allendale Township. This no doubt answers the question; "How did Marie Grégoire meet Hubert Brooks?" Answer: She was literally the girl next door!
In Walle Township note how close the homestead of Marie's brother Siffroid Grégoire (block 5) is to Hubert Brooks. There must have been a close relationship with Hubert & Marie naming their firstborn Siffroid.
Note in passing in Allendale Township there was a school in block 11 immediately below Louis Brooks' homestead.
Finally note the Great Northern Railway tracks to the north going into Grand Forks City and also note that there is a Great Northern Railway track separating Allendale and Walle Townships. The Brooks homesteads were very close to the train tracks. (Also the Merrifield Road ran alongside the tracks.)
The RED RIVER runs along the border between Dakota Territory and Minnesota (and is also the eastern boundary of Walle Township).
CATHOLIC CHURCHES. Also evident on this map are the towns/hamlets of Merrifield and Thompson. The first catholics to establish themselves in the community was the French settlement of Merrifield and it is believed that a priest came to Marrifield from Grand Forks to say Mass sometime during the year of 1877. Sometime in the early 1880s the French settlers started going to St. Michaels Catholic Church in Grand Forks proper (just south east of the "city" almost adjacent to the RED RIVER). In 1891 a small Catholic Church was established in Thompson. Also at times the school house, where the BROOKS children went to school, in the east part of section 11 of Allendale Township (immediately south of the Brooks property) was also used as a church.
The images below were taken from Julia (Piguette) Marcoux (Frank Marcoux's wife) North Dakota Pioneer file.
NOTE For the School: The land on SE Section 11 (see map below) was donated by Michael Huard, and there were about 14 students when the Brooks children attended
NOTE For the Church The main church was in Grand Forks ( not yet called St. Michael's on 6th and DeMers, AND alternative services were held in the school in Allendale Township
NOTE For the Church Members: In addition to the Hubert Brooks Family, one has the recognized names of Grégoire, Turcotte, Bourassa, Hamel, Marcoux and Piguette (Julia Piguette had married Frank Marcoux.)
Business concerns in Thompson in the late 1880s consisted of: West Hotel, McDonald Hotel, Thompson Brothers General Store, Saloon run by W.H. Bell, Law Office run by Mr. McDonald, Dennis Crowley a section foreman,and a Blacksmith and Dealership of Farm Machinery run by Nick Simon.
BRENNA Township was named after its first settler, Ole Brenna, who settled in the area in 1878 at NW quarter Section 23.
Not shown on the above map, but;
Looking then at a detailed map showing individual land ownership circa 1893 of ALLENDALE TOWNSHIP noting the Hubert Brooks (initially purchased by Louis Brooks) as well as the Turcotte and Plante homesteads:
Next look at the detailed map showing individual land ownership circa 1893 of WALLE TOWNSHIP located immediately to the east of Allendale Township noting the Hubert Brooks and 3 Grégoire clan homesteads:
The H.E. in Siffroid Grégoire's block stands for "Homestead Entry".
Jim Davis say; "Not sure if there was any legal reason for mentioning homestead other than to signify that the person homesteaded the area - which was somewhat of an honor. A Homestead Entry may have signified that the individual held the original patent or deed to the land which would make it less complicated in selling the property or finding out who had the rights such as mineral rights. Sometimes railroads or other former owners would retain some rights or water rights. It may be just as simple as the atlas company wanted to highlight the families who homesteaded!"
The very first entry as found at Dept. of Property & Records, Grand Forks County Recorder for property SE ¼ of Section 2, Township 150 N, Range 51 W in the state of North Dakota recorded in Book N of Deeds on pages 283- 284 on November 20th, 1883 at 4:30 PM is between the United States and Louis Brooks, where a land transfer sale is consumated for the then princely sum of $4.00.
See map above (section 4.3.1) for location of Louis Brooks' homestead site within Grand Forks Townships.
Recall that to acquire a homestead from the US Government, the applicant had to either be a US citizen or
have applied for US Naturalization (which Louis had done May 1878) and the applicant had to reside on the homestead and "prove up" within
(Most of the time the person had to actually reside on the land and prove up by plowing, establishing a home and planting trees etc.)
So approximately 5 years after his Naturalization application, Louis was able to apply for a formal homestead certificate.
Louis (b. 1824) would have been 59 years old in 1883 when he made this homestead application.
The formal Land Deed for 160 acres, Homestead Certificate No. 261 Land Transfer from United States to Louis Brooks, appeared a little later on 20-October-1884.
The next entry for this property is dated October 2, 1889 and here we see Louis and (wife) "Lucy" Brooks selling the property to his son Hubert Brooks for the sum of $3,000. Louis (b.1824) would have been of 65 years of age when he made this land sale to Hubert.
The next entry for this property is dated September 9, 1901 and here we see Hubert and (wife) "Mary" Brooks selling the property to Marie's brother Alphonse Grégoire for the sum of $3,500. It is believed that Hubert and Marie moved to St. John in 1901/1902.
On November 4, 1904, Warranty Deed 39747 transfered the land from Alphonse and (wife) Clara Gregoire sold the land to R. B. Griffith.
Fast Forward to October 10,2007 and it seems that the land is owned by Lawrence Joseph Gregoire and wife Pat Gertrude Uhlir Gregoire. On August 11, 2008 Lawrence Joseph Gregoire and wife Pat Gertrude Uhlir Gregoire issued a Quit Claim Deed apparantly transferring the land (as well as several lots in Blocks 1, 3 and 4) to the Gregoire Revocable Trust. This is the last land transaction found.
Deed Book 3 page 573 as found at Dept. of Property & Records, Grand Forks County Recorder has Hubert Brooks purchasing the land on December 23, 1887 from William Healey (or Haley) for the sum of $1,800.
As noted in Section 4.3.1 above this property in Walle Township is reasonably close to the property Hubert's father Louis then owned in adjacent Allendale Township.
Deed Book 19 page 445 has Hubert and "Mary" Brooks selling the land on October 3, 1894 to Marie's sister, Olive Grégoire for the sum of $2,700.
Note that this transaction was signed by Hubert and Mary in Rolette County N.D. -- presumably while they were living in St. John.
With the death of Olive Gregoire, this property was transfered to the Gregoire Revocable Trust
(MS Book 419 page 415 circa January 9, 1954.
This consisted of:
The property was transferred Nov 7, 1966 from Ernest J Gregoire and his wife Carole M. Gregoire to John Dale Gregoire. Then on April 1, 1983 John Dale Gregoire of California and his wife Christine B. Gregoire sold the land to Don Dress and Sons Inc.
Harmengile (also known as Haménigilda in Canadian Census) Grégoire purchased NE ¼ of Section 10, Township 150 N, Range 51 W from Lewis and Mehitable Hinricks on October 24, 1889.
The property was sold December 2, 1931 to Annie Grégoire.
Deed Book 5 page 558 as found at Dept. of Property & Records, Grand Forks County Recorder has Louis purchasing this property October 15, 1888 from Mrs Harry B. Layton for $2,000.
Deed Book 19 page 579 has Louis turcotte Sr. and his wife Rosalie selling the land to Birthine N Pederson for the price of $3,200. Louis signed by affixing his mark as an " X ".
And some interesting land transactions...
Deed Book M page 358 as found at Dept. of Property & Records, Grand Forks County Recorder has Leon P. Plante and his wife Sedelia selling this property March 29, 1883 to A.G Revaer for $1,000.
Deed Book M page 359 has Sedelia alone purchasing this property March 29, 1883 from A.G Revaer and wife for $1,000.
Deed Book 17 page 415 has Sedelia Plante and her husband Leon Plante selling the land December 4, 1895 to Mrs. Minerva Wright (of Thompson) for One Dollar. (must have been a relation of sorts)
The 3 properties discussed in this sub-section are those owned by Marie's brothers ( Hubert's brothers-in-law) Siffroid, Alphonse and Tancrede.
Note that father Gaspard and mother Adele Philoméne were most certainly also on one of the properties with the boys, for as shown in Section 2.3 father Gaspard had immigrated to Grand Forks circa 1879 and the parents and the three brothers were to stay in Grand Forks for the rest of their lives and are buried in Calvery Cemetery. Gaspard (d. Aug 3, 1907); Philomene (nee Huard) Gregoire d. 1928, Tancrede (d. Dec 14, 1941), Alphonse F. (d. July 28, 1943), Siffroid (d. 1947).
The Pioneer Biography Files (Series 30529) generated by the North Dakota Historical Data Project had the following first person account from Tancrede Grégoire .
Tancrede Grégoire HISTORICAL ACCOUNT
Tancrede Grégoire’s first work in Dakota was building a log barn for Peter Marcoux. During the first fall and winter in Dakota, Tancrede and
George Morency (a young man who had accompanied Tancrede on his trip to Dakota Territory) cut and hauled with oxen 30 loads of wood for use as fuel at the Marcoux home. This wood
was hauled from Joe Greenwood place in Grand Forks Township a distance of about 7 miles.
During part of the winter of 1878-79, Tancrede and George Morency stayed with Lanch Hamel in a log cabin he had, on a piece of timber land on the Minnesota side of the Red River and worked with Mr. Hamel on timber.
In the spring of 1879 Tancrede’s father and 2 brothers,Herman and Alphonse came to Dakota. They also made their home with Peter Marcoux for a time. The elder Grégoire took a homestead somewhere in the western part of Allendale Township.
On account of the trade he’d learnt in Québec, Tancrede found his services were in much demand among the settlers. He could repair a buggy or wagon or hang a door or do any other job with tools. He never had a shop but did such work for many of the neighbors.
During the winter of 1879-80, he and Morency again worked together in the woods, this time staying with August Revoir who also had a tract of timber land near the Red River.
In Jan. 1880 Tancrede came of age and could file on land. The southwest quarter of Sec 6 in Walle Township which joined Peter Marcoux’s land on the east was in a low flat where water stood for the greater part of the year. Because of this condition it had not been taken, so Tancrede filed on it on Feb. 1880. Tancrede built his 14 ft by 14 ft log cbin from wood retrieved from the Red River. He installed bunk beds and a table and dug himself a well. Lighting was provided by a kerosene lamp and he used a wood fired No. 8 Cookstove. Someone had been mistaken about the line and had broken a little land over on Tancrede’s quarter, which became the ground for his 1st crop. It was farmed for him by Peter Marcoux for the first crop (which was 1 acre of wheat).
In 1880 Mrs. Sunana Marcoux (Suzanne Ferland - Mrs. Charles Marcoux), Tancrede’s grandmother on his mother’s side, and the rest of his brothers and sisters came to Dakota territory. Mrs. Marcoux made her home with her son Peter Marcoux.
The Grégoires took up their home with Tancrede in the log house he had built on his claim. Tancrede noted that the log house in which he had spent the winter down by the river was built with the ends of the logs sticking out at the corners; but he built his house on his claim with all of the corners cut square and straight. His brothers and sisters lived in this house until they had homes of their own. The last of his sisters to be married was married near the time of his own marriage, so he had someone to keep house for him right up to that time!
As an aside, Tancrede notes...... the harvesting of the 1880 crop in Walle township and Allendale township, where the pioneer Tancrede worked for several different farmers, was done in a variety of ways. Some used a self rake reeper which laid the grain on the ground in bunches where it was bound by hand. It required 4 men to do the binding. Others used the Marsh harvestor which cut grain and delived it to a platform where 2 men stood on the rear of the machine and bound it as it came to them. There was some who used binders which bound the bundles with wire. Mr. Grégoire thinks that there were no twine binders out yet in 1880. One disadvantage with the wire binders was that when the straw was burned or plowed under the wire would not burn or rot and became a nusisance. Plows would not work in ground where there was wire. In some instances it was raked up and hauled to the river to be dumped. Tancrede has seen loads of the wire on hay racks loaded like hay, to be hauled down to the river. Some of the thrashing machines in the 80’s were run by horsepower and others by a portable steam engine. The engines were fired with wood. The bands had to be cut and grain fed to the machine by hand. The straw was taken away from the machine with a bucking pole with a horse or ox on each end, driven generally by boys.
Eight of their children were born in their home in Walle township; three were born on the Brooks’ place, two were born on the Frank Marcoux place, and three were born at Peter Marcoux’s place, the youngest arriving on April 4, 1914. In those days women made their own soap and some of them did their own spinning and weaving of cloth from wool and flax.
In 1919 Tancrede and Olive and family moved to Grand Forks for the sake of better school for their children. They have lived in town in the winter and on the farm for each summer, where their young son carried on the farm work.
While they were living on on the Burk place, Mrs. Tancrede Gregoire died in 1928. After his wife’s death, Mr. Gregoire with his family, continued to farm until in 1933 when Mr. Grégoire moved to Grand Forks where he lived with his daughter (Mrs. Bertha Smulan on 1st Ave N.) dividing his time between his children.
Property Records for SW ¼ of Section 6, Township 150 N, Range 50 W - Walle Township are as follows:
Deed Book F page 259 as found at Dept. of Property & Records, Grand Forks County Recorder shows Tancrede Grégoire acquiring the homestead from the Uniited States Government on May 2, 1882. (interestingly he only first filed for Naturalization in February of 1879 so it was not quite 5 years before formally acquiring the homestead)
Deed Book S page 24 on January 20, 1883; the formal deed arrived from the US Government.
MS Book 40 page 145 on Sept 9, 1942 and quickly amended by MS Book 40 page 271 ..deposes of the
(by then considerable) estate of Tancrede Gregoire upon
At his death it would appear that Tancrede owned:
The Pioneer Biography Files (Series 30529) generated by the North Dakota Historical Data Project had the following first person account June of 1939 from Alphonse Grégoire .
Alphonse Grégoire HISTORICAL ACCOUNT
Alphonse and brother Hermanigille Grégoire arrived from Québec at his brother Tancrede's dwelling Oct 8, 1880. Alphonse worked for the neighbors during the thrashing that fall. During the winter of 1880-81 Hermanigille and Alphonse lived on the east side of the Red River and worked in the woods for Fred Bernard. In the spring of 1881 Alphonse and brother Siffroid got a job on the railroad section at Thompson. The wages at the beginning were $1.25 per day. Later that summer they were raised to $1.50 per day. They worked at that for 4 summers. There was no railroad work for them in the winters unless they went away somewhere and they did not care to do that. In 1885 and 1886 Alphonse and Siffroid farmed together and about 1887 Alphonse bought the southeast quarter of Sec. 6 from Con Wilson for $1200. It had no buildings on it except a small shack. In 1889 Alphonse built his 14 ft by 16 ft log cbin from wood retrieved from the Minnesota side of the Red River where it was free for cutting. He installed factory made beds, chairs and a rocker, a homemade table and had dug the well himself the year before. He used a wood for a Cookstove and a Round Heater. His first crops were wheat and oats for which he employed a shotgun seeder and a McCormack binder. From then on he farmed by himself.
As an aside ..... When Alphonse came to Dakota there were places where there were a great number of Buffalo bones on the prairie. He did not pick any of them but the people who lived in the county west of his place did. He says that there were buffalo paths in every direction over the prairie.
The cyclone that struck Grand Forks in the summer of 1887 did not damage anything for the pioneer Alphonse but it took the roof from Peter Marcoux’s
house on section 1 Allendale plat.
Alphonse was caught in a tornado in the summer of 1902, July 16. He was driving on the road near his house with a load of slabs which he was bringing home from the sawmill. He did not see the storm until it was too late to avoid it. The horses had all they could do to maintain their positions on the road. When the storm struck, Alphonse tried to get off of the wagon. He jumped but was unable to get to the ground. Keeping his hand on the edge of the load, he bobbed up and down in the air but his feet did not touch until the center of the storm had passed. After it was over he realized that his straw hat was not on his head. He looked around and there it was, resting on one of the slabs as if there had been no wind at all. The rain that came in that storm was so hot that it scalded his face. His granary was destroyed by that storm. Alphonse’s crop was hailed out in 1900. Twice in the early years, Alphonse was lost in blizzards and not able to determine where he was, but each time his horses took him home. On one of these occasions, when his horses stopped, he could not see anything but thought he must be near home, so he got down and unhitched the horses and started them again and they took him to the barn. They had stopped in the usual place!
Property Records for SW ¼ of Section 6, Township 150 N, Range 50 W - Walle Township are as follows:
Deed Book 10 page 516 as found at Dept. of Property & Records, Grand Forks County Recorder shows Alphonse Grégoire acquiring the property from brother Siffroid of Merrifield (a single man) on October 20, 1889 for the sum of $1,000.
Deed Book 34 page 592 dated September 9, 1901 has Alpphonse and his wife Clara Gregoire selling this property to brother Siffroid Gregoire for $4,300.
Further disposition for this property can now be found under the Siffroid Gregoire sub-section starting at Deed Book 127 page 254.
Deed Book Z page 461 as found at Dept. of Property & Records, Grand Forks County Recorder dated November 15, 1886 has both Siffroid Gregoire and Alphonse Gregoire buying the property from Cornelius and Mary Ann Whalen for $1200.
Deed Book 29 pages 482/483 for Document Number 24291 Land Patent from United States to Siffroid Gregoire. Homestead Certificate No. 3557 pertaining to Application 11370. This December 28,1893 transferred 160 acres to siffroid.
MS Book 24 page 570 dated December 9, 1931 has Siffroid and wife Anna Gregoire re-acquiring ownership of this property AND SE quarter of Section 6 from Hermenegile Gregoire and his wife Belzimire Gregoire. Apparantly both of these properties had been sold to Hermenegile and Belzimire on July 16, 1919 but they had fallen behind on payments and now Siffroid was re-acquiring ownership of the land.
MS Book 24 page 461 dated December 15, 1931 has Siffroid and wife Anna Gregoire selling the this property and SE quarter of Section 6 to Ernest J. Gregoire for $20,000 payable by December 1941. There is a long contract that follows stating what and how many crops to be planted, what could and could not be done with the land and so on....
Document 209858 dated November 15, 1932 has Siffroid Gregoire selling to his wife Anna Gregoire this property and SE quarter of Section 6, and Lots 7 and 8 in Block 2 of McKelvey's Addition to Grand Forks City for the sum of $1.
MS Book 37 page 345 dated January 6, 1941 has Siffroid Gregoire, Incompetent and his wife Anna Gregoire has Siffroig Gregoire and "his special guardian" Marie A. Gregoire further contesting the land ownership now that Ernest Gregoire had died and his wife Florence is in charge-- (I have not gotten into details -- it'd be interesting to find out WHO this Marie A. Gregoire is.)
Deed Book 107 page 586 re Document 186095 on January 10, 1941; has Anne Gregoire as General Guradian to Siffroid Gregoire, Incompetent... and Anne Gregoire in her individual capacity as wife to Siffroid Gregoire selling the land to Florence A Gregoire as Administrix to the Estate of Ernest J. Gregoire, Deceased for the price of $8,000.
Document 715736 recorded Feb 2, 2012 land was transferred from Ernest J. Gregoire, Personal representative of the Estate of Florence A. Peterson, deceased TO Ernest J. Gregoire of Grand Forks and John Dale Gregoire of California.
This sequence of documents is quite confusing if one strictly follows the dates. It seems Louis acquired the land, then (as an unmarried man) sold the land to Hattie Prongua. The homestead was then vested to Louis A Brooks. Somewhere in all of this Hattie married Louis. Why this back and forth was necessary is not clear.
Deed Book E page 370 dated November 25, 1881 as found at Dept. of Property & Records, Grand Forks County Recorder has the Indenture that transferes the 60 acre property from Louis A. Brooks (an unmarried man) to Hattie E. Prongua. (Hattie would become LA's wife and go by the name Hattie E. Books as per Affidavit in Misc Book 17 – Page 158.) Note that one of the witnesses appears to be a "C. Brooks".
Deed Book D page 575 as found at Dept of Property & Records, Grand forks County Recorder dated November 26, 1881 is a Receiver’s Receipt that records the payment of $200 for the property to Louis A. Brooks from the United States.
Deed Book Y page 234 dated Nov 15, 1886 is a Homestead Certificate 2464 vesting the land to Louis A Brooks from the United States Government
Deed Book 38 – Page 60 is a Warranty Deed that goes from Hattie E. Brooks and L.A. Brooks, her husband; to Thomas A. May dated October 30th, 1901. This is the instrument that SOLD the property.
Misc. Book 17 page 158 has an 1928 AFFIDAVIT associated with this property affirming that Hattie E. Prongua is the wife of Louis A. Brooks.
Information concerning this property has yet to be obtained.
The 1880 Census had these relations in Allendale Township of Grand Forks County. However the 1997 Flood of the Red River destroyed all property INDEX records. Accordingly, unless one knowns the specific property number description, itis not easy to find information about the property!
HOWEVER....based on the Dec. 1939 Pioneer Statement of Alphonse Grégoire, it is thought that L.A.E. Brooks (aka Ashel Brooks) briefly farmed the property directly south of Louis Brooks at NE Section 11 of Allendale Township during his short stay in the township. L.A.E was to sell this property to Simeon Huard prior to 1891 (as the family appeared in 1891 Canada Census at St. Boniface Manitoba).
ALSO .... based on the Dec. 1939 Pioneer Statement of Alphonse Grégoire, it is thought that Frank (Simeon) Huard at NE block 11 and Michael Huard at SE block 11 of Allendale Township. By 1893 however these lands were farmed by Frank and Michael Loon before shifting back to the Huard family in 1909 - see 1909 PLAT map below.
After the Hubert Brooks Family had departed for St. John N.D., the following 1909 Land Ownership Maps reflect the ownership in Grand Forks Townships of Allendale and Walle.
The Grégoire properties are highlited with the red boxes and the other friends of the Brooks and Grégoires discussed throuhout this Chapter 4 with the green boxes.
In viewing old newspaper articles, its interesting to see the impact that L.A. Brooks had on the town/city of Larimore N.D.
Earlier articles indicated the problems early settlers had with fire - and L.A. Brooks was no exception.
Some other articles of general interest provide some further insight into L.A. Brooks' life at the time.
And perhaps the MOST INTERESTING article of all, was the 1907 article below, which indicated that L.A. Brooks was probably headed off to CUBA to act as an agent for a local company. Did he go? Is this the reason that L.A. Brooks "falls off the map" and is not at relatives weddings/ funerals after this date?
As an ASIDE, the 1900, 1910 and 1920 US CENSUSes for the home where L.A. Brooks and family lived had the following information:
NOTE 1: with regard to the confusing Imigration Year data above, the "right answer" is L.A. Rousseau Brooks first entered the USA in April of 1871 at Portsmouth, New Hampshire (apparantly travelling by boat from Quebec (City)). On Oct. 9, 1878 L.A. Brooks (by then had changed his name from Rousseau) applied for the 1st filing for US citizenship, the Declaration of Intention, in Grand Forks Dakota Territory. This seems to be the date LA was referencing in his CENSUS input.
NOTE 2: In the 1910 US Census, LA Brooks' profession was listed as "Real Estate". His son-in-law Charles Faddin's profession was listed as a"merchant in a general store".
NOTE 3: In the 1920 US Census, Louis A had as a profession "orchardist".
NOTE 4: The age data for the 1930 Census are completely crazy ...... folks getting on in years and probably answering to get rid of the task.
The Washington, Deaths, 1883-1960; Washington State Archives, Olympia, Washington have the following information.
|PREVIOUS PAGE||GO TO TOP OF PAGE FOR
APPENDIX NAVIGATION MENU
The Life and Times of Hubert Brooks M.C. C.D.